Please join your neighbors at the Carthage Christian Church for the next Carthage Civic League meeting. Important information about the neighborhood will be shared and discussed. See you there!
Backyard Maple 101
Saturday, Feb. 10 1:00 – 3:00 pm
Caldwell Nature Center
Live off the land and learn the tricks of the trade to make your own maple syrup at home this winter. Discover what trees to tap, how to collect and cook the sap into syrup. Most of the program is held outdoors. Tree-tapping spouts are available for sale. FREE but reservations needed at: https://parks.cincyregister.com/backyardmaplefree
Call 761-4313 for information and to inquire on the availability of spaces after Feb. 9 deadline.
Museum Center’s Youth Programs are designed to enhance the creativity, confidence and success of its members. Through participation in workshops, field trips, college visits, volunteerism and other learning opportunities, participants in Youth Programs are well-prepared for success in high school, college and beyond. This is a volunteer opportunity that grows youth ages 13-18 and last year one of our Carthage residents, Quincy, joined and has had a positive experience.
Applications for Youth Programs will be accepted through February 24, 2018. We are accepting applicants between the ages of 13 and 18.
Apply here! Please feel free to share this with anyone you think might be interested.
Great Parks And Cohen Offer Free Holiday Lights Recycling
Have your holiday lights lost their twinkle? Drop off broken or unwanted lights at any Great Parks visitor center between December 1, 2017, and January 10, 2018.
Holiday lights should not be placed in your green curbside recycling cart.
Recycling holiday lights instead of throwing them in the trash keeps them out of landfills and gives them a new life. As part of its mission of conservation, Great Parks of Hamilton County is offering six convenient drop-off locations to the public. The lights are collected by Great Parks and taken to Cohen Recycling*.
Marked bins are available at the locations listed below, which are open from dawn until dusk:
• Farbach-Werner Nature Preserve: Ellenwood Nature Barn 3455 Poole Road Cincinnati, OH 45239
• Glenwood Gardens: Cotswold Visitor Center 10397 Springfield Pike Cincinnati, OH 45215
• Miami Whitewater Forest: Visitor Center 9001 Mt. Hope Road Harrison, OH 45030
• Sharon Woods: Sharon Centre 11450 Lebanon Road Sharonville, OH 45241
• Winton Woods: Winton Centre 10245 Winton Road Cincinnati, OH 45231
• Woodland Mound: Seasongood Nature Center 8250 Old Kellogg Rd. Cincinnati, OH 45255
You’re invited! ¡Estás invitado!
Monday, December 18 6:30pm
Carthage Christian Church
Each year we look forward to gathering with our Carthage neighbors for our annual Christmas Potluck. If you have never come to a Civic League meeting in the past, this is a great opportunity to learn about the neighborhood, meet some neighbors, and have fun!
- Please bring a dish to share. Thanks to everyone participating, we always have a wonderful feast! Drinks will be provided.
- New this year! Bring a wrapped gift (gently used or re-gifted is great!) to participate in a fun gift exchange game. Only adults who would like to be part of the game need to bring a gift.
- All kids under 13 will receive gifts!
- The Cincinnati Museum Center is donating tickets to the Holiday Junction train show as a door prize!
- There will also be a prize for an Ugly Christmas Sweater contest. (Time to break out your Bedazzler!)
- A brief Civic League meeting will follow.
We look forward to seeing you there.
All are welcome! ¡Todos son bienvenidos!
Our neighbors in Hartwell will be hosting a festive evening of Christmas lights, Santa, and cookies at Hartwell United Methodist Church. The event is this Sunday, Dec. 3, 6 – 8pm.
Thank you to Dr. Mark Mussman and Melissa for coming to our last meeting and sharing information about the Greater Cincinnati Homeless Coalition. Dr. Mussman talked about the need for affordable housing in Cincinnati and asked the neighborhood to help support an Affordable Housing Trust Fund. (You can find more detailed information here.)
Below is a copy of a letter Dr. Mussman provided. If you would like to help this movement, please write to City Council. You may print, sign, and mail this letter to 801 Plum St. Cincinnati, OH 45202. Or find the email addresses of the Mayor and the rest of the council members here.
Community Clean-Up Day
Saturday, November 25 9am – 12pm
Join your neighbors at the next community clean-up day to help beautify our neighborhood. We meet at the Carthage School at 9am and pick up litter until around 12:00. Be a part of making Carthage great!
DIY Fresh Wreath Class Sat., December 2, 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. – Caldwell Nature Preserve
Get out of the house and get into the holiday spirit by joining our professional florist as she guides you in making your own fresh master piece. All materials and instruction are provided. Fee: $30 per person. Call 761-4313 by Nov 27 for reservations.